Friday, June 8, 2012

Brann's Steakhouse & Sports Grille

I promised my mom I'd take her out to lunch... quite a while ago actually, and I was waiting until I got paid so I'd have the extra cash to do so. Fast-forward a month or so, and I figured it would be the right time to finally do so, since she's been busy everyday doing stuff in/around/outside the house. I chose Brann's Steakhouse because I had a coupon for a free dinner I received when I celebrated my 22nd birthday there. This coupon should have expired this year on the 5th of February, but being the sneaky bastard that I am, I put a 1 before the 2, so it appeared that the coupon expired in December. Yeah yeah, I sound like a cheapskate, but hey, I earned this free dinner!



Originally this was supposed to be a lunch date, but since work took longer than anticipated, we didn't get to the restaurant until a little bit after 4. Ah well.

At this time they had a deal going on with certain dinners, which included the main entree and two sides, for only $7.99, which is a pretty good deal. Now I've been to Brann's many times throughout the years and I usually would end up just getting a burger, since that's my default order at any restaurant (and Brann's does make a delicious burger). As part of the $7.99 special, I could get a bacon cheddar burger and two sides. I took a look at the regular menu and saw they had a fried pickle burger, which just sounded ridiculously awesome. I ended up ordering the 1 lb. barbecue ribs, mostly because I've had them before and they're pretty delicious, and just so happen to be slathered in my all-time favorite barbecue sauce, Sweet Baby Ray's.

I picked a chopped salad and fries to go along with my ribs, and my mother ordered the 6 oz. sizzling steak, along with a chopped salad and a baked sweet potato. I'd never had the chopped salad before, but my mom recommended it and said it was very good, which it was.

We each ordered their 20 oz. beers that were on special, Miller for me, Bud for her. Then they brought out the housemade rolls with cinnamon butter (which are addictive) and salads. The chopped salad was, well, chopped salad, but with crumbled bleu cheese, chow mein noodles, chopped tomatoes, and balsamic vinaigrette. It was pretty good actually.

While waiting for our food I enjoyed my beer and the rolls they gave us, since I at that point was starving and just wanted some carbs inside of me. Finally, after not long of a wait, our food arrived, only something wasn't right. (Side note: I was busy enjoying the meal with my mother and didn't get to take pictures of the meal. I'll do my best to describe everything for you though.) My mom had ordered her steak medium rare, and it arrived, sliced butterfly-style, face down. This most definitely was not cooked medium rare. Our server/manager apologized and took it back, letting us know they'd have another one out very shortly. We waited probably another ten minutes and then he brought back another. This time, my mom cut into it, and saw the pink, so all was well. Until... she got about halfway done, and noticed, yet again, it looked like it was cooked medium well, not medium rare. She explained it was fine and she just wanted to eat, but also threw in:

"I don't know if you have new cooks back there or something, but they're a bit mixed up when it comes to cooking the steaks."

To which our server/manager responded: "Yeah, ahaha, I don't know about that."

Aside from that mix-up, our meal was pretty enjoyable. The ribs were very good, not fall-off-the-bone good, but very well seasoned and had plenty of Sweet Baby Ray's on them. The fries were fries, not anything too special. I had to add pepper and extra seasoning salt to suit my taste. They gave me a metal bucket to put the bones in, which I forgot about until I noticed my plate was getting crowded with rib bones.

I used my birthday coupon which took off my meal, and then the manager was nice enough to take an additional 5 bucks off for the little steak snafu. Altogether for two dinners and two 20 oz. beers, our bill came to just under ten bucks. Which pleased me very much so. (Don't worry, I left a good sized tip.)



This wasn't a typical review, that which I'm used to writing. Therefore I'm not going to give Brann's a rating, but just say that if you're in the mood for a decently priced lunch/dinner featuring a sports theme throughout the restaurant, this place might just tickle your fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment